VISION: Student Disability Services embraces an educational community that celebrates and values the uniqueness and diversity of each student.
MISSION: In the spirit of equity, and in collaboration with the larger campus community, Student Disability Services leads the university in its commitments to recognize disability as a valued aspect of diversity, to embrace access as a matter of social justice, and to design more welcoming and inclusive environments.
CORE VALUES: As a department, and as individuals, we are committed to following the below Core Values as the foundation of our philosophical and decision-making processes:
- We recognize disability as a dimension of human variation and consider it to be an interaction between the person and the artificially-created barriers to physical, educational, economic, social, and policy environments.
- We support university standards and integrity by valuing high expectations for all students, including those with disabilities.
- We value civility, respect and integrity in accordance with The University of Mississippi Creed.
- We pursue the eradication of stigma and embrace the uniqueness and dignity of each person.
- We believe in the ability of students to succeed and thrive and consider it our responsibility to support and encourage their personal growth and autonomy.
- We strive for outstanding customer service by providing courteous, responsive, and personalized support that values and respects the needs of those we serve.
The Office of Student Disability Services (SDS) at The University of Mississippi is committed to ensuring equal access to a quality education for qualified students with disabilities through the provision of reasonable academic accommodations which support University standards and academic integrity.
University policy provides for reasonable accommodations to be made for students with verified disabilities on an individualized and flexible basis as specified under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA).
SDS provides classroom accommodations to all students on campus who disclose a disability, request accommodations, and who meet eligibility criteria. We do not have specialized programs for specific types of disabilities.
Students with disabilities are served in much the same way as other students on campus. We believe that each department on campus has expertise unique to that unit and students are better served by interacting with each department according to their needs. For example, students with housing needs should contact the Office of Student Housing and Residence Life; students with registration questions should contact the Registrar’s Office or their Academic Advisor and so on. In this way, students receive appropriate information from those with the specific expertise and knowledge to answer the student’s question(s). Students are encouraged to contact SDS if they do not know which campus office to contact for a specific question or problem.
To view The University of Mississippi’s official policies and procedures for students with disabilities, please visit this link:
Policies and Procedures for Students with Disabilities
We look forward to assisting prospective and enrolled students with disabilities who may require assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us with questions or requests for additional information.
Stacey Reycraft, M.Ed.
Student Disability Services